OK, so I noticed that it’s been the end of September since I’ve written anything in my blog. Oops. And that’s not for lack of trying – there’s 5 half-written posts in my drafts section, which I never completed for some-reason-or-other. And that’s not because nothing has been happening – quite the contrary. Part of the problem is that I tend to get caught up in a (mostly, I suspect) irrational need to ensure that posts are chronological (“I can write about the thing that just happened, because I haven’t posted anything about the other thing that happened just before it!”). And the snowball just gets bigger, until, like now, I decide I’m going to do something about it, there’s a flurry of 3 or 4 posts, maybe 1 or 2 after that, and the vicious cycle repeats.
This would be the part where I mumble something about it being the beginning of the year, and resolutions, and making an attempt to do better, but I’m not going to do that. Actions speak louder than words, and all that (which means you’ll probably soon be deafened by the silence resulting from the aforementioned cycle beginning another turn).
Anyway, the story so far, in particular order (that chronology thing):
* reverential bought a new sound system: a Bose Cylindrical Radiator Loudspeaker, and a JBL subwoofer, which sound amazing.
* I got a piano: a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-230. An excellent practice instrument for the lessons I started back in September.
* I attended the USENIX LISA conference in December in Washington, DC. At the conference, I was able to meet Cory Doctorow and have him sign one of his books for us.
* We lost our cat, Oscar, as due to a series of problems that came on pretty suddenly, we had to put him to sleep.
* We saw Thomas Dolby (with BT) in concert at the World Live Cafe in Philadelphia, and got to meet them afterwards.
* We went down to Little Rock, Arkansas for Christmas to visit Michelle’s parents. As they’re looking to retire in the next year or two (back to Canada), this could have been the last Christmas at their AR house.
Well, I think that hits the major highlights for last year. reverential has 4 or 5 gigs already lined up for this year, so there’ll be lots more news there, along with live photos of venues we play and gear! And there’s a few other things that I’m saving for separate posts. Enjoy!